Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Dilemma

Hey there. How ya been? I've been okay. Cuddling gets interrupted in the middle of the night, but I have learned that getting drooled on isn't so bad. Ricky is a disgusting child with sticky hands and a stickier face, but despite all that he's kinda cute. I'm serious, the kid scores high on the cute factor. And as much as I want to stay away from him, it is hard not to want to hug him. Babies are strange that way.

But that isn't why I needed to post. We have a dilemma in this household. Who should we root for this weekend? The Bears or the Saints? On the one hand, we're teddy bears, so we should root for the Bears, right? It seems natural.

On the other hand, New Orleans was destroyed by an epic hurricane and is still struggling to support itself. As far as I know, Chicago is doing okay for itself. Sure Marshall Fields closed, but there is still the Lincoln Park Zoo and the Cubs are nowhere near winning the World Series. It is nothing like New Orleans where everything outside of the French Quarter looks like a war zone. New Orleans needs to win more than Chicago, right? So being benevolent bears, we should root for New Orleans.

I know that I used to root for the Packers and no true Packers fan can root for the Bears or the Vikings. But that reasoning doesn't apply to the rest of the guys in the household (and girls, thanks, Amelia). And besides, I don't have strong roots with the Packers. I'm from China where we don't really play football. I know I don't look Asian, but I am. Trust me, that little tag on my tush says so. I needed to adopt a team and the Packers seemed a good one to root for. Small market, cold weather, and no jerk billionaire owner. I thought it was a perfect fit, but then Brett Favre stuck around about two years too many. There is no drama when you know every close game will be lost because of a ridiculous interception. None. Zippo. We're talkin' less drama than Comedy Central's weeknight programming. And I don't care how much "fun" he's having out there, I'm not enjoying it. So I might have to adopt a new team. But that doesn't matter for everyone else in the household who wants to watch the game tomorrow. We have a dilemma on our hands.

I tried to get Pudgie to think it over through one of his Socratic dialogues, but he refused. He said something about football not being "a worthy application of his intellectual abilities." I think Pudgie is just bitter that Romo blew the hold and the Cowboys lost. I shared that opinion with Pudgie and he decided to no longer share his presence with me. I think he might still be mad at me because he raises his book a little higher each time I walk by. I thought that was funny, so I kept pacing back and forth until the book was pretty much smashed up against Pudgie's face and he stormed out of the room again.

Saints or Bears? Bears or Saints? Encouraging the flagship ursine sports franchise or pulling for the downtrodden residents of New Orleans. Seems kinda selfish to root for the Bears. Teddy bears aren't going anywhere. Teddy bears were popular long before the advent of the Chicago Bears and the rise of modern technologies have made us no less popular. We don't need additional brand name recognition. New Orleans needs something to feel good about.

So I think we should root for the Saints.

6 Comments:

Blogger Wagsy said...

Um ... Goofball, there are two games this weekend. Who are we supposed to root for in the other.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Goofball said...

Why would we root for the Patriots? Tony Dungy needs the win more than Belichek. I say we root for the Colts.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Wagsy said...

Um ... I used to live in Boston. I'd feel a little bad about rooting against the Patriots. Um ... actually, a few us did. Gundy and Duck lived with me. Um ... Gundy doesn't much care for football, so I don't think it matters. And, ... um ... Duck is angry. I don't know if he roots for anyone ... except himself. Um ... he definitely roots for himself.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Goofball said...

Okay, well root for which ever team you want, big guy. Why you askin' me? I like Dungy, so I am rooting for the Colts. We don't have to do everything as a teams.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Wagsy said...

Um ... I like Tony Dungy, too. He seems very nice. Oooh ... I don't like sports very much. Why does someone have to lose?

10:16 PM  
Blogger FHC said...

Would one of your bears like to email me a photo of himself to be in "The Teddy Bears Hall of Fame", on the "Life and Times of Tadley Bear." I will happily put a link to where he can be found underneath it.
Kind Regards
Sue

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home