Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Question

Ozzie, Ozzie, come here.

Ozzie: Yeah, Goofball, what do you want?

You know Valentine's Day was yesterday and I see that you didn't buy any flowers.

Ozzie: I was a little busy on Tuesday with teaching and consulting. I didn't really get around to it.

You don't think that you might have offended someone by not buying flowers? People usually get mad at you for things you say or do, but there are sins of omission you know.

Ozzie: Don't worry, Goofball. I cleared it with Harriet before. She understands.

She wasn't the one I was thinking of.

Ozzie: Oh, you think that I should have bought Buffy and Amelia flowers? I've never done it before, but that's not a half-bad idea. But I would feel a little silly buying flowers for teddy bears. And I don't think they really expected it.

No, no, no. I'm talking about me. Why didn't you buy me flowers?!

Ozzie: Well, uh, gee, I, well, for starters, I didn't know that you wanted flowers. Do you even like flowers?

Not really, but that's beside the point. It's the thought that counts. Why didn't you buy me flowers ... or the equivalent?

Ozzie: I don't know what to say, Goofball. I've never thought of buying my teddy bear flowers before.

Don't you love me?

Ozzie: Where did this come from? If I wanted needy affirmation, I would have had a beer with the graduate students.

Just answer my question, Ozzie. Do you love me?

Ozzie: Is something wrong, Goofball? I don't understand.

It's a simple question, but I'll ask it slowly so you can understand. Do ... you ... love ... me?

Ozzie: Wow, you're really upset about something. Yes, yes, I do love you, Goofball.

Good, I love you, too, Ozzie. I just wanted to make sure that we're on the same page. A bear can't go investing his emotional energies into relationships and then have the rug pulled out from under him.

Ozzie: Are you going to tell me what this is all about?

Well, you know, I just the feeling that things are going to change. And I don't like change. Not one bit. As far as I am concerned, everything should be frozen in time just like it is now. I'm happy, you're happy, Harriet is happy, everyone is happy. Why fix the boat if it ain't leaking?

Ozzie: Do you want to see Buffy become famous?

Oh, you bet! I want nothing but the best for that girl.

Ozzie: Well, if we stopped the clock last year, we wouldn't have seen Buffy land that modeling job. Did you enjoy meeting and training Bear and Pi?

Why are you asking these questions? You know I adore those kids. I was a little sad to see them go, but they were excited to go meet their new families.

Ozzie: Why was it okay to see them go?

You know it is kind of the life cycle of teddy bears. You get purchased from the store, you go home with responsible people who treat you nicely but nevr really get attached, and then you're given to some slobbery creature that is going to bite you and abuse you. But hopefully, that kid will bond with you and you'll have your person. That's kind of the way it works and Bear and Pi had to go find their people.

Ozzie: See, not all change is bad.

I reckon you have a point there, Ozzie. But I still don't have to like change. By and large, it is bad for the bears.

Ozzie: Would I have told you that I love you last year?

No, no I don't think you would have. And I appreciate you saying it.

Ozzie: Yeah, please don't make me say it again.

As long as you always love me, big fella.

Ozzie: Deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home